Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

Our new MCC family picture. I thought they did a nice job. Let us know if you want a new card.


Last week Rebecca and I were in the middle of a road trip to Poughkeepsie, New York where we had spent the last 5 years of our lives. It was a whirlwind tour of our closest friends and we did it, in my opinion, almost perfectly. We actually saw most everyone we were hoping to see. Granted some of the stops were shorter than we would have liked, but it was still a blessing to see old friends. One thing that was particularly moving for me was the number of people who said they kept up with us regularly on this blog! We really feel loved and cared for.

I had listed some of our itinerary last week, but among the highlights this week were:

1. Speaking to our church for a few minutes on Sunday. It was Laity Sunday and we were asked to share a bit about our tme in Burundi in the context of what we were Thankful for. Rebecca shared a bit about our colleague Zachee who is truly a gift to us in our work with MCC. He is a person who has known much tragedy but has had the attitude that in all circumstances he lives to please God and not men. He is humble, gracious, patient, and the perfect liason for us as we struggle with cultural adaptations.

I was able to share my gratitude for having, right from the start, a church community that supported us spiritually and emotionally. I said that the love of Chirst supercedes any cultural differences and we felt welcomed as family into the church we are part of. I also had the chance to share a story about my experience of that love in a very tangible way. Here is that story:

On my last night in Burundi, I invited our pastor Immanuel Ndikumana and his wife Azele over to our house. We had a chance to pray together and I thanked them for their support of me while Rebecca and Oren were away. During the course of the conversation, the topic turned to the movie Hotel Rwanda. Immanuel had been in the US when he saw it and he told me he had an emotional breakdown, because he could really see his family in the eyes of the people left behind when the UN and all the foreigners (including missionaries) left. He said he realized, at that moment, that we could not be trusted, even Christians, to stay, stand by, and perhaps face death with his family and people in a time of crisis. At that moment, he said, he really came to realize that, in fact all would fail him, but that he could put his completely confidence in Christ who would not fail him. He was at peace about that.

When he told me the story, I really felt convicted. I said to him that I feared, as a foreigner, that I too would probably be too afraid to stay in the face of an ethnic crisis and stand with my Burundian Christian brothers and sisters in solidarity. It was a difficult admission, and one that showed me my own lack of faith. I did feel some shame in admitting the truth.

I expected Immanuel to cast an eye of judgement or show some small sign of disapproval. Instead, he looked me in the eye and in that eye I really saw the compassion of Christ. He said: “Paul, in the face of a crisis, we would be the first ones to be putting you and your family on a plane to safety.”

I realized then, what real self sacrificing Christian love looks like and I am deeply grateful that we have this in Burudi.

Sharing with the church at PUMC reminded me how much I miss that place, and it was great to hear the testimonies of people there who have been growing spiritually in the past 6 months. But I do feel more confirmed than ever in our decision to go to Burundi.

2) Seeing our Small Group: We had a Monday night meeting with our Poughkeepsie small group and it was great. Don and Rosaura, Heidi, Chris and Teresa, Jeff and Wendy, Gabriela and Oren, were all there. We had a great sharing time, it almost felt like we had never left. We also ate some of Wendy's awesome homemade carrot cake.

3) Visiting Friends: We also visited others including the Thompson-Gees who we almost missed as they just returned home the evening before we left. Pastor Bob was really glad to see Oren and Oren was very excited to play with the toys at their house—particularly the marble machine. Here are Pastor Bob and Oren playing some make believe game.

Among Oren’s other playmates we visited was Asa. I am amazed at the capacity of three year olds to remember. The reunion of Oren and Asa was amazing. They were like long lost brothers. Asa quite literally dove on Oren. They played happily at Asa’s house on Monday although after an hour together they were back to fighting over who got to play with what toy. (Which toy is the best? –the one the other person has!)


We returned Wednesday and had Thanksgiving on Thursday with family. Here we are in Baltimore in my parents’ dining room. My brother’s family and Rebecca’s parents were there. That is one of the perks of marrying one of your Dad’s colleagues’ daughter! Your in-laws get along really well.

That is about all for now, I will be preaching tomorrow at Hyattsville Mennonite Church so I need to go to bed.

No comments: