Sunday, July 20, 2008

Last Night in America!

I have just put Oren to bed at 'Grandma Jean's and Papa Dave'' house for the last time. He was noticeably quiet and reserved. He had spent several hours before running around with his cousin's Miriam and Gabriel, but as we prepared for bath and bed, I talked about this being our last night in America he said again he missed his red house and was feeling sad about it.

So tomorrow is our last day here. We will go to church with my parents and do a mission moment, then have lunch, finish packing and head off to Dulles airport. Our flight leaves at 9:30pm.

This week has been a good last week. We received 6 new suitcases as an anniversary present and have been packing them. What does one take in 6 suitcases for a 5 year trip. Legos, for one thing, as well Winnie the Pooh and a stuffed elephant, and a d0zen dvds. It is great to have an ipod, by the way because I have about 100 CDs to take along.

We did alot of visiting this week. We saw my brother Jonathan and his son Fletcher who is about the same age as Oren. Here they are at the zoo in Baltimore. (No that is not a giant Burundian tortoise!)

We also met an old friend of mine, Jeff Kenney at the Smithsonian in DC. We had lunch and Oren got to ride the metro. That was his favorite part. Jeff, who does alot of international travel warned us that theft from baggage was so out of control in Nairobi and Johannesburg that putting any valuables in checked luggage was tantamount to throwing it away. So we have had to think carefully about what we are stowing where. Rebecca is very strategic and we have at least one or two outfits in every bag, so if some don't arrive we can still change our underwear.

Part of my spiritual preparation for leaving in the past month has been to run 8 miles per day in the mid morning. I precede it with a morning devotional. It has been very helpful to focus and I have been praying for many of you as I run. I feel I have heard God's voice when I run, as well as face some of my deepest anxieties about this next step. Right now I am at peace with my anxiety.

Last night I stayed up late and watched Hotel Rwanda. It is one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen. To think that we will be trying to bring peace to a nation in which 1,000,000 people were macheteed death in a civil war is daunting. We also started taking Larium, our antimalarials. One of the bad side affects to be on the lookout for is hallucinations, anxiety, nighmares and psychotic episodes. After the movie, I don't know if I will be able to tell the drug reaction from my state of mind. I do know that one of the projects we are involved with in Rwanda is a program to help reintegrate some of the perpetrators of these acts back into their neighborhoods. With my human eyes it is hard to imagine what reconcilliation would look like in the face of the magnitude of the crime and the unbelievable number of people involved in perpetrating it.

I think I will bring Out of Africa to watch on the plane to get a less morose perspective on this move.

Rebecca is looking more and more pregnant and Oren talk regularly about his little brother (who he still calls Banjo). Rebecca is also feeling some anxiety about the discomfort of air travel. Please pray that this will not be too much of a problem.

I have really enjoyed hearing from many of you. Please keep us in your prayers this week. We will be landing in Bujumbura on July 22nd after 2 days of travel. We will be starting a new job in a new language almost immediately.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip and know that we are all praying for you, even now.
God's best and our love be with you. Bob T-G and family

Anonymous said...

The Caramicos are praying for you, right now, ten minutes into your flight. It is daunting, but we have no doubt that God has great plans to use all of you for his good purposes. We thank Him for your courage and the sacrifices you make. We lift up the people of Burundi, as well as Banjo, Oren, and the two of you, and pray for clean underwear and rest every step of the way!

Anonymous said...

TGees here in N.Hampshire. getting ready for family worship and prayers for you all. Alicia says she and her group had no luggage issues in Africa. Peace, God's presence, and lots of spiritual protection coming your way.

Shannon said...

I am praying daily for your mission and safety for you and your family. I am sure this transition is not the easiest for you to go through but God will give you the strength and the guidance through this time. The posts are great. It is great to hear what you guys are up too and how you are dealing with things. Keep us updated on how you are all doing and how we can help. My prayers are with you as you fly today. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Instead of running 8 miles, I worked in the garden and mowed the lawn this morning, while missing Oren's running in Gramma Jean's yard - we are praying for your safe landing in your new home! Jean Sack

Anonymous said...

Paul and Rebecca,

You have certainly been in our prayers for some time in the whole process of seeking for God's leadership in your lives. It thrills us to share with our friends that our professional dancing nephew is on his way to be a missionary in Africa. Sounds like a God thing!

I have enjoyed the blog entries. Glad to know that you are only a blog away.

Much love and prayers,
Aunt Binny

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all, praying for you as well. We're eager to read the next post!
Paul, all your work on the VRDT director's manual has been invaluable and will continue to be, I'm sure.
I cannot thank you enough!
Happy Birthday to Oren and the best to all of you!
Maureen